Episode 93 Content and Overview
Your blood type is something that is determined by your genes, and until you need a blood transfusion your blood type doesn’t really have any affect on your health. If you get a blood transfusion it is important to match the donors blood type with your blood type so your body does not reject it. Having Rh negative blood isn’t a concern until pregnancy. If you are Rh negative, and your baby is Rh positive then you have an Rh incompatibility. This means that there is a mismatch between the blood of you and the blood of your baby. When your Rh negative blood is exposed to your baby’s Rh positive blood, your blood reacts by producing antibodies that can attack and destroy your baby’s Rh positive blood cells. To avoid the complications that come along with this rho(D) immune globulin, commonly referred to by the brand name RhoGAM, is given at various points during your pregnancy or after birth. This episode explores all of the risks, benefits, and considerations surrounding Rh compatibility with your baby and the RhoGAM shot.
Included in This Episode
- Blood types
- Rh factor
- Blood type of the baby’s father
- Rh incompatibility
- Sensitization (exposure of your blood to your baby’s blood)
- Testing for sensitization with an antibody screen
- Rh hemolytic disease of the newborn or Rh disease
- Rho(D) immune globulin or RhoGAM
- How rho(D) immune globulin works
- When rho(D) immune globulin is administered
- ACOG FAQ The Rh factor: How it can affect your pregnancy
- Risks of rho(D) immune globulin
- Common side effects of rho(D) immune globulin
- RhoGAM package insert
- Opting out of the RhoGAM shot
- Talking to your doctor or midwife
- Aeroflow is a company that helps you get a breast pump through your health insurance. There can be some hoops to jump through to get a breast pump through your insurance but Aeroflow does all of this for you and makes it so easy. All you need to do is fill out a form that takes just a minute. Aeroflow will contact your health insurance company, get the necessary paperwork from your doctor or midwife, then they will get in touch with you to help you choose the right breast pump. Click here to get started.
- Zahler makes a high quality prenatal vitamin that has the active form of folate plus omega 3s and DHA. This is the prenatal vitamin I take and the one I recommend. Zahler was very generous and gave me a promo code I can share with you so you can save 25% off when you buy a month supply on Amazon. To order them today click this link Zahler Prenatal + DHA and enter the promo code PREPOD25 when you checkout to save 25% on a one month supply.
- Your Birth Plan book
- Get the weekly Pregnancy Podcast newsletter
- Join the Pregnancy Podcast Community on Facebook