Episode 105 Content and Overview
A TENS device is a small handheld device that has wires coming out of it that are attached to electrodes in pads that you stick to your skin. TENS stands for transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation. TENS units or machines are commonly used in patients who suffer from chronic pain. A TENS machine works by sending electrical nerve stimulation through low voltage electrical impulses through the electrodes on your lower back. These devices were first used for women in labor in the 1970s, and today these devices are common for use during labor in the United Kingdom. The big question is, does a TENS machine really make a difference in labor? This episode examines the pros and cons of TENS machines and digs into the research and evidence available on their use.
Included in This Episode
- What is a TENS machine?
- How does it work?
- When to use it?
- Contraindications for using a TENS machine
- Review: Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) for pain management in labour
- Pain management for women in labour: an overview of systematic reviews
- ACOG Committee Opinion: Approaches to limit intervention during birth
- How to get a TENS machine
- Mommy Steps makes insoles specifically for pregnancy. They have insoles for athletic shoes and ones for flats or boots. You can even heat them in your oven and mold them to your own feet to make you more comfortable and to prevent foot issues during pregnancy. Mommy Steps is offering an exclusive 20% off for listeners of the Pregnancy Podcast. Click here to check them out and enter the promo code FEET when you checkout.
- Aeroflow is a company that helps you get a breast pump through your health insurance. There can be some hoops to jump through to get a breast pump through your insurance but Aeroflow does all of this for you and makes it so easy. All you need to do is fill out a form that takes just a minute. Aeroflow will contact your health insurance company, get the necessary paperwork from your doctor or midwife, then they will get in touch with you to help you choose the right breast pump. Click here to get started.
- Zahler makes a high quality prenatal vitamin that has the active form of folate plus omega 3s and DHA. This is the prenatal vitamin I take and the one I recommend. Zahler was very generous and gave me a promo code I can share with you so you can save 25% off when you buy a month supply on Amazon. To order them today click this link Zahler Prenatal + DHA and enter the promo code PREPOD25 when you checkout to save 25% on a one month supply.