Episode 116 Content and Overview
Many expecting mothers experience headaches and migraines during pregnancy whether or not they experienced migraines pre-pregnancy. If you did get migraines before you got pregnant you may find that pregnancy improves the severity or the frequency of your migraines. A migraine is like a headache on steroids. We do not know the exact causes of migraines and they are thought to occur with changes in neurochemicals, nerve pathways, and blood flow. This differs from a headache that is often caused by stress or tension, rather than physical changes in the brain. Migraines can be accompanied by nausea, vomiting, you may also have your vision affected and see spots or even get blind spots in your vision, and you could have sensitivity to light, noise, or smells. Whether you are dealing with headaches or migraines, this can affect your sleep, mood, your nutrition intake, and overall quality of life. This episode covers diet and lifestyle changes to relieve headaches and migraines and talks about different medications and their safety during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Included in This Episode
- Things that can trigger a headache or migraine
- Techniques to alleviate the discomfort of headaches and migraines
- Sleep Issues During Pregnancy
- Pregnancy Sleep, Tips for Better Sleep
- Magnesium supplements
- When you should talk to your doctor or midwife
- Summarizing table on treatment of headache in pregnant women
- Summarizing table on treatment of headache in breastfeeding women
- Migraine in Pregnancy article on PubMed
- Headache and Pregnancy: a Systematic Review
- Prenatal and infant paracetamol exposure and development of asthma: the Norwegian Mother and Child Cohort Study
- Association of Acetaminophen Use During Pregnancy With Behavioral Problems in Childhood
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Any prescription or over-the-counter medication should be discussed in detail with your doctor or midwife
- Mommy Steps makes insoles specifically for pregnancy. They have insoles for athletic shoes and ones for flats or boots. You can even heat them in your oven and mold them to your own feet to make you more comfortable and to prevent foot issues during pregnancy. Mommy Steps is offering an exclusive discount for listeners of the Pregnancy Podcast. Click here to check them out and enter the promo code FEET to save 20% off.
- Zahler makes a high quality prenatal vitamin that has the active form of folate plus omega 3s and DHA. This is my favorite prenatal vitamin, the one I take everyday and the one I recommend to all expecting moms. Zahler is offering an exclusive discount to listeners of the Pregnancy Podcast. To check out the vitamin and find out how you can save 25% when you buy a one month supply on Amazon click this link Zahler Prenatal + DHA.
- Your Birth Plan book
- Get the weekly Pregnancy Podcast newsletter