Episode 144 Content and Overview
When you eat your body breaks down foods into glucose, which is used for energy. Your pancreas he hormone, insulin, is produced by your pancreas to help muscles, fat, and other cells absorb glucose for fuel. During pregnancy your body naturally becomes more resistant to insulin, which means that more glucose remains in your blood, because it isn’t being absorbed. For most moms this works just like it is supposed to. Even though your body is more resistant to the insulin and higher levels of glucose are in your blood, your pancreas reacts by producing more insulin, which is what it is supposed to do. The problem comes in when your pancreas can’t keep up with the high demand for additional insulin and more glucose builds up in your blood. Insulin doesn’t cross the placenta, but glucose does. So too much of that extra glucose in your blood, that isn’t being absorbed and used as energy, is going to your baby. That extra glucose that is more than your baby needs ends up being stored as fat. There are many risks to both you and your baby when you have gestational diabetes. This episode breaks down gestational diabetes, testing, treatment, risks, and exactly how this affects you and your baby.
Included in This Episode
- Risks of gestational diabetes
- Hyperglycemia and adverse pregnancy outcomes
- Rates of gestational diabetes
- Factors for low and high risk
- Glucose challenge screening
- Glucose tolerance test
- Gestational diabetes testing
- Glycemic index for 60+ foods
- Associations of Physical Activity and Inactivity Before and During Pregnancy With Glucose Tolerance
- Lifestyle interventions for treating women with gestational diabetes
- Insulin Use in Pregnancy: An Update
- Glyburide (Glynase, Diabeta, or Micronase)
- Association of Adverse Pregnancy Outcomes With Glyburide vs Insulin in Women With Gestational Diabetes
- Metformin (Glumetza, Glucophage, Fortamet, or Riomet)
- Metformin use in pregnancy: promises and uncertainties
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists information on gestational diabetes
- High risk pregnancy
- Labor Induction for gestational diabetes
- Gestational diabetes mellitus: challenges in diagnosis and management
- Ultrasound accuracy
- Timing of delivery in women with diabetes in pregnancy
- Colostrum and hypoglycemia in your baby
- Advising women with diabetes in pregnancy to express breastmilk in late pregnancy (Diabetes and Antenatal Milk Expressing [DAME]): a multicentre, unblinded, randomised controlled trial
- Expressing colostrum during pregnancy
- Motherhood Maternity is the best resource for maternity clothes. There are some staples you will need for your pregnancy like jeans, leggings, and tops, plus they have an awesome selection of super cute maternity clothes for work and even dressier outfits for all of those holiday events coming up. I shopped here during both of my pregnancies and was really happy with the selection, quality, and the prices. I know it can overwhelming to think about not fitting into anything in your closet and it is 100% worth it to invest in maternity clothes. You do not have to sacrifice comfort or style when you are expecting. You can shop at your local Motherhood store or shop online and you can get 40% off one item for the month of November with the code MAMA40 when you shop online. Click here to check out Motherhood Maternity.
- The Evenflo EveryStage car seat is an infant seat, convertible, and booster all in one and it has 10 different positions that will keep your baby or older child safe and comfortable. Evenflo’s EasyClick latch system makes it so easy to install and move it from one car to another. When it comes to car seats safety is a huge priority for me and this seat allows kids to be rear facing longer. The EveryStage car seat is well made, safe, and so easy to use. This is the only car seat you will ever need. Click here to check out the Evenflo EveryStage car seat and get a promo code to save 10%.
- Zahler makes a high quality prenatal vitamin that has the active form of folate plus omega 3s and DHA. This is my favorite prenatal vitamin, the one I take everyday and the one I recommend to all expecting moms. Zahler is offering an exclusive discount to listeners of the Pregnancy Podcast. To check out the vitamin and find out how you can save 25% when you buy a one month supply on Amazon click this link Zahler Prenatal + DHA.