Episode 147 Content and Overview
Maternity leave is the name for taking time off from work after you have a baby. The amount of time that your maternity leave lasts varies a lot depending on what country you live in, the company you work for, and your personal financial situation. Paternity leave is the counter part of maternity leave for dads and partners. It can be a challenge to understand what is covered by your employer, to navigate federal or state programs, and prepare financially for your family. Planning for maternity leave is a big project and this episode breaks it down into manageable tasks that you can knock out so that you are totally prepared to be off from work and enjoy spending time with your new baby.
Included in This Episode
- Paternal leave around the world
- OECD Parental Leave Systems
- U.S. Department of Labor Family Medical Leave Act Info
- U.S. State sponsored programs
- Employer sponsored paid leave
- When should I tell my boss I am pregnant?
- Combining employer maternity leave with government assistance
- Maternity leave for entrepreneurs
- Talking to your partner about finances
- Figuring out your cost of living
- Deciding on the amount of time to take off
- Vacation, personal time, and sick days
- How health insurance and other benefits work when you are on leave
- Talking to your employer
- Making a smooth transition at work
- Setting boundaries for your work contacting you
- The motherhood penalty
- U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- Explaining the Motherhood Wage Penalty During the Early Occupational Career
- When you are not planning to return to work after birth
- Planning to return to work
- Options for childcare
- Pumping breastmilk
- Building a stash and pumping at work
- U.S. Department of Labor Break Time for Nursing Mother’s Info
- Mommy Steps makes insoles specifically for pregnancy. They have insoles for athletic shoes and ones for flats or boots. You can even heat them in your oven and mold them to your own feet to make you more comfortable and to prevent foot issues during pregnancy. Mommy Steps is offering an exclusive 20% off for listeners of the Pregnancy Podcast. Click here to check them out and enter the promo code FEET when you checkout.
- The Evenflo EveryStage car seat is an infant seat, convertible, and booster all in one and it has 10 different positions that will keep your baby or older child safe and comfortable. Evenflo’s EasyClick latch system makes it so easy to install and move it from one car to another. When it comes to car seats safety is a huge priority for me and this seat allows kids to be rear facing longer. The EveryStage car seat is well made, safe, and so easy to use. This is the only car seat you will ever need. Click here to check out the Evenflo EveryStage car seat and get a promo code to save 10%.
- Zahler makes a high quality prenatal vitamin that has the active form of folate plus omega 3s and DHA. This is my favorite prenatal vitamin, the one I take everyday and the one I recommend to all expecting moms. Zahler is offering an exclusive discount to listeners of the Pregnancy Podcast. To check out the vitamin and find out how you can save 25% when you buy a one month supply on Amazon click this link Zahler Prenatal + DHA.