Episode 91 Content and Overview
For the last half century it has been a common rule in hospitals that you could not eat or drink during labor. The main reason women were originally discouraged from eating during labor isn’t as relevant now and a lot of research does not support policies limiting food during labor. In the past few years, this rule has improved to allow drinking clear liquids, but not every doctor is on board with eating during labor. In contrast, women who give birth at a birth center or at home are encouraged to eat during labor. By looking at the energy requirements of your body during labor, and the evidence to support eating during labor or avoiding nutrition, you can decide what is going to be the best course of action for you as you plan your birth. Evidence based information on eating during labor and tips to fuel your body so you do not run out of energy during your birth.
Included in This Episode
- History of policies restricting food during labor
- ACOG Committee Opinion, Oral Intake During Labor
- American College of Nurse Midwives, Clinical Guidelines for Oral Nutrition During Labor
- American Society of Anethesiologists statement
- Labor is a marathon
- Energy requirements during labor
- Restricting oral fluid and food intake during labour
- Effect of Oral Carbohydrate Intake on Labor Progress: Randomized Controlled Trial
- Less Restrictive Food Intake During Labor in Low-Risk Singleton Pregnancies: A Systematic Review and Meat-analysis
- Talking to your doctor or midwife
- When to eat
- Foods to avoid
- Foods to eat
- Nutrition for your partner
- Aeroflow is a company that helps you get a breast pump through your health insurance. There can be some hoops to jump through to get a breast pump through your insurance but Aeroflow does all of this for you and makes it so easy. All you need to do is fill out a form that takes just a minute. Aeroflow will contact your health insurance company, get the necessary paperwork from your doctor or midwife, then they will get in touch with you to help you choose the right breast pump. Click here to get started.
- Zahler makes a high quality prenatal vitamin that has the active form of folate plus omega 3s and DHA. This is the prenatal vitamin I take and the one I recommend. Zahler was very generous and gave me a promo code I can share with you so you can save 25% off when you buy a month supply on Amazon. To order them today click this link Zahler Prenatal + DHA and enter the promo code PREPOD25 when you checkout to save 25% on a one month supply.
- Your Birth Plan book
- Get the weekly Pregnancy Podcast newsletter
- Join the Pregnancy Podcast Community on Facebook