Episode 136 Content and Overview
Breastfeeding is so important and one of the best things you can do for your baby. There is no formula that comes close to mimicking breastmilk. Your milk contains every vitamin, mineral, and nutritional element your baby needs, and your milk is customized just for your baby. Babies who are breastfed are at a lower risk for ear infections, intestinal upsets, respiratory problems, allergies, dental problems, and their immune system will be stronger. Breastfeeding produces prolactin and oxytocin, which are hormones that foster a connection to your baby and help you recover from birth better. Hear about the fundamental things you need to know before your baby is born and what to expect when they arrive and start breastfeeding. By understanding the basics you will have a solid foundation to start building a successful breastfeeding relationship with your new baby.
Included in This Episode
- Recommended time to breastfeed and when you would need to supplement with formula
- The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
- La Leche League
- Skin to Skin Contact
- The supply and demand system of milk production
- Your baby’s weight gain
- IV fluids and breastfeeding (Covered in episode on IV Fluids During Labor)
- What to expect with diapers
- Your baby’s latch and why it is so important
- Taking care of yourself
- Continue to take a prenatal vitamin.
- Zahler makes a high quality prenatal vitamin that has the active form of folate plus omega 3s and DHA. This is the prenatal vitamin I take and the one I recommend. Zahler was very generous and gave me a promo code I can share with you so you can save 25% off when you buy a month supply on Amazon. To order them today click this link Zahler Prenatal + DHA and enter the promo code PREPOD25 when you checkout to save 25% on a one month supply.
- Burping & spit up
- Nursing clothes
- Breast pads, Bamboobies are awesome!
- Pumping Breast Milk
- Pumping Breastmilk, Building a Stash and Pumping at Work
- Getting a breast pump through your health insurance
- Breast milk storage bags
- Tips for success