Episode 92 Content and Overview
It is extremely important to stay hydrated during your labor and birth, and if you are dehydrated it will affect your labor. You can become lethargic and have a lack of energy, and your uterus is going to have a hard time contracting efficiently, which can slow down or stall your labor. There are three ways you can stay hydrated during your labor, by drinking fluids, receiving fluids from an IV, or a combination of the two. IV is short for intravenous, and IV fluids are delivered via a needle directly into a vein. In U.S. hospitals it is common practice to routinely use IV fluids during labor, especially if you receive other interventions like an epidural or Pitocin. The benefit of being given IV fluids is that you stay hydrated during labor. This intervention also comes along with risks that can impact you, your baby, and even breastfeeding. Whether or not you plan to receive IV fluids during your birth, it is still a good idea to drink fluids during your labor. There are some tips and guidelines on what fluids are best to drink during labor and how you can ensure you stay hydrated. This episode covers the benefits of staying hydrated during your labor, how you can stay hydrated by drinking fluids, and the benefits and risks of IV fluids during labor.
Included in This Episode
- ACOG Committee Opinion: Oral Intake During Labor
- ACOG Committee Opinion: Hydration and Oral Intake During Labor
- Different types of IV fluids during labor
- Intravenous fluids for reducing the duration of labour in low risk nulliparous women
- Intravenous fluid rate for reduction of cesarean delivery rate in nulliparous women: a systematic review and meta-analysis
- Risks of IV fluids
- Restrict your mobility
- IV fluids, your baby, and breastfeeding
- An observational study of associations among maternal fluids during parturition, neonatal output, and breastfed newborn weight loss
- Hep-lock or saline lock
- Talking to your doctor or midwife
- Recommended fluids during labor
- Isotonic drinks
- An Evaluation of Isotonic Sport Drinks During Labor
- Tips to stay hydrated during labor
- Urinating during labor
- Aeroflow is a company that helps you get a breast pump through your health insurance. There can be some hoops to jump through to get a breast pump through your insurance but Aeroflow does all of this for you and makes it so easy. All you need to do is fill out a form that takes just a minute. Aeroflow will contact your health insurance company, get the necessary paperwork from your doctor or midwife, then they will get in touch with you to help you choose the right breast pump. Click here to get started.
- Zahler makes a high quality prenatal vitamin that has the active form of folate plus omega 3s and DHA. This is the prenatal vitamin I take and the one I recommend. Zahler was very generous and gave me a promo code I can share with you so you can save 25% off when you buy a month supply on Amazon. To order them today click this link Zahler Prenatal + DHA and enter the promo code PREPOD25 when you checkout to save 25% on a one month supply.
- Your Birth Plan book
- Get the weekly Pregnancy Podcast newsletter
- Join the Pregnancy Podcast Community on Facebook