Episode 94 Content and Overview
There can be so much societal pressure to get back in shape after you have your baby. It took 9 months for your body to get to where it is after birth, and your body has been through a lot. Give yourself time and have some compassion for all of the amazing things your body has done. Especially in the first few weeks after birth you are healing and your focus should be you and your baby, not getting back into shape. There are a lot of products you can wear that are marketed as a way to return to your pre-pregnancy body faster with a lot of claims that they promote healing and weight loss. These garments go by a lot of different names like pregnancy shape wear, belly wrap, belly binder, postpartum girdle, or support belts. Brands vary and there are a lot of different styles, but overall the idea behind all of these is the same. The big question is, do they really work? This episode digs into all of the marketing claims and talks about the evidence, or lack of evidence to back up these claims. If you do decide you would like to try a postpartum girdle there are tips for finding the right one and an evaluation of the top selling products available.
Included in This Episode
- Belly band
- Marketing claims
- Provide abdominal and back support
- Promote good posture
- Boosts your self esteem
- Aids in recovery for a cesarean section
- Medical grade materials or FDA approved
- Loose your post baby belly faster, or shrink and tighten your belly
- Helps to heal diastasis Recti
- Considerations for buying a postpartum girdle:
- Can you wear it under your clothes
- Is It convenient to go to the bathroom or do you have to take the whole thing off?
- How easy will it be to put on and take off?
- Washing instructions
- Pros and cons of the top selling products
- Additional tips for use:
- Don’t wear it if it is painful or uncomfortable
- Run it by your doctor or midwife
- Aeroflow is a company that helps you get a breast pump through your health insurance. There can be some hoops to jump through to get a breast pump through your insurance but Aeroflow does all of this for you and makes it so easy. All you need to do is fill out a form that takes just a minute. Aeroflow will contact your health insurance company, get the necessary paperwork from your doctor or midwife, then they will get in touch with you to help you choose the right breast pump. Click here to get started.
- Zahler makes a high quality prenatal vitamin that has the active form of folate plus omega 3s and DHA. This is the prenatal vitamin I take and the one I recommend. Zahler was very generous and gave me a promo code I can share with you so you can save 25% off when you buy a month supply on Amazon. To order them today click this link Zahler Prenatal + DHA and enter the promo code PREPOD25 when you checkout to save 25% on a one month supply.