Historically vaccines have taken a decade or longer to develop and get to market. Due to the severity and spread of COVID-19, there was a massive demand to create vaccines as quickly as possible. We have three vaccines currently approved by the FDA under an emergency authorization use in just a year. Pregnancy can increase your risks for severe illness from COVID-19. Despite pregnancy increasing COVID-19 risks, clinical trials did not include pregnant participants. Although studies are beginning to focus on these vaccines and pregnancy, it will be months or even years before we have results. This episode dives into the available evidence on the safety and efficacy of COVID-19 vaccines during pregnancy so you can make an informed decision on whether to get the vaccine.
Additional COVID-19 Resources
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- World Health organization
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention
- Click here for more Pregnancy Podcast episodes on COVID-19.