Episode 106 Content and Overview
Many of us have fur babies before we have human babies and our pets are a huge part of our family. Pregnancy can bring up some risks relating to pets and may require some changes in our relationship with our pets. As you are preparing for a new baby, you may also be preparing your pet to be around a new baby. This episode has some tips on introducing your pet to your baby, and answers questions like whether your pet can sense that you are pregnant. Plus, learn about some research showing the benefits of bringing up a baby in a home with a pet.
Included in This Episode
- Can pets sense that you are pregnant?
- Reducing your risk of toxoplasmosis
- CDC Guidelines on toxoplasmosis and pregnant women
- Pack animals and your family
- Barking and your baby
- Hamsters, guinea pigs, mice, or other rodents
- Snakes, lizards, turtles or other exotic pets
- How to prepare your pet for your baby
- Introducing your pet to your new baby
- Respiratory Tract Illnesses During the First Year of Life: Effect of Dog and Cat Contacts
- Exposure to Dogs and Cats in the First Year of Life and Risk of Allergic Sensitization at 6 or 7 Years of Age
- Lifetime Dog and Cat Exposure and Dog and Cat Specific Sensitization at Age 18 Years
- Talking to your doctor or midwife
- Mommy Steps makes insoles specifically for pregnancy. They have insoles for athletic shoes and ones for flats or boots. You can even heat them in your oven and mold them to your own feet to make you more comfortable and to prevent foot issues during pregnancy. Mommy Steps is offering an exclusive 20% off for listeners of the Pregnancy Podcast. Click here to check them out and enter the promo code FEET when you checkout.
- Zahler makes a high quality prenatal vitamin that has the active form of folate plus omega 3s and DHA. This is the prenatal vitamin I take and the one I recommend. Zahler was very generous and gave me a promo code I can share with you so you can save 25% off when you buy a month supply on Amazon. To order them today click this link Zahler Prenatal + DHA and enter the promo code PREPOD25 when you checkout to save 25% on a one month supply.