Episode 109 Content and Overview
Feeling under the weather is never fun, especially when you are pregnant. Combine that with feeling lethargic, shivering, and burning up and you can really feel crummy. Plus, running a fever during your pregnancy can be scary. The best way to alleviate any fears or unknowns is to educate yourself about what temperature constitutes a fever, when you should call your doctor or midwife, and what to do if you get a fever during your pregnancy. Research recently made headlines linking fevers during pregnancy to autism. This episode is going beyond the click bait headlines to explain what a fever is, why we get them, and what the research says about how a fever during pregnancy can affect your baby.
Included in This Episode
- The Story of 98.6, Freakonomics Bad Medicine
- What temperature is considered a fever?
- Fever causes and symptoms
- Prenatal & Bikram yoga
- Prenatal fever and autism risk
- Systematic review and meta-analyses: Fever in pregnancy and health impacts in the offspring
- Avoiding a fever
- Treating a fever
- When to call your doctor or midwife
- Over-the-counter medications to reduce a fever (antipyretics)
- Prenatal and infant paracetamol exposure and development of asthma: the Norwegian Mother and Child Cohort Study
- Association of Acetaminophen Use During Pregnancy With Behavioral Problems in Childhood
- Never hesitate to contact your doctor or midwife
- Mommy Steps makes insoles specifically for pregnancy. They have insoles for athletic shoes and ones for flats or boots. You can even heat them in your oven and mold them to your own feet to make you more comfortable and to prevent foot issues during pregnancy. Mommy Steps is offering exclusive discounts for listeners of the Pregnancy Podcast. When you checkout enter the promo code FEET15 to save 15% off one pair, or FEET25% to save 25% off two or more pairs. Click here to check them out.
- Zahler makes a high quality prenatal vitamin that has the active form of folate plus omega 3s and DHA. This is the prenatal vitamin I take and the one I recommend. Zahler was very generous and gave me a promo code I can share with you so you can save 25% off when you buy a month supply on Amazon. To order them today click this link Zahler Prenatal + DHA and enter the promo code PREPOD25 when you checkout to save 25% on a one month supply.
- Your Birth Plan book
- Get the weekly Pregnancy Podcast newsletter
- Join the Pregnancy Podcast Community on Facebook