Episode 126 Content and Overview
Morning sickness is most often nausea that happens during pregnancy, and can be accompanied by vomiting. This does not just happen in the morning, it can be anytime or even all day. Morning sickness affects 60-80% of expecting mothers. This is most common in the first trimester, can start as early as one to two weeks after conception, and usually goes away after 12 weeks, or about when you are starting the second trimester. Hyperemesis gravidarum is severe morning sickness that can require hospitalization or treatment with IV fluids, and affects .3-2% of all pregnancies. It can be especially tough in the first trimester when you may not be telling everyone you are pregnant, you feel sick, you may be missing work, or missing out on social activities. Overall you are going through a lot of physical and emotional changes and not feeling well can really impact your mental health and quality of life. Everyone is going to be different, what helps relieve nausea for one expecting mom may not work for you. This episode goes through a long list of different treatments to try and find some relief.
Included in This Episode
- Nausea and Vomiting of Pregnancy
- Causes of morning sickness
- Risk factors
- Nausea and vomiting of pregnancy: what about quality of life?
- Nausea and vomiting in pregnancy: associations with maternal gestational diet and lifestyle factors in the Norwegian Mother and Child Cohort Study
- Association of Nausea and Vomiting During Pregnancy With Pregnancy Loss
- Is lack of morning sickness teratogenic? A prospective controlled study
- Tips to help relieve symptoms of morning sickness
- Essential Oils For Pregnancy, Birth, and Postpartum (And Their Safety)
- When to contact your doctor
- Mommy Steps makes insoles specifically for pregnancy. They have insoles for athletic shoes and ones for flats or boots. You can even heat them in your oven and mold them to your own feet to make you more comfortable and to prevent foot issues during pregnancy. Mommy Steps is offering an exclusive 20% off for listeners of the Pregnancy Podcast. Click here to check them out and enter the promo code FEET when you checkout.
- Zahler makes a high quality prenatal vitamin that has the active form of folate plus omega 3s and DHA. This is my favorite prenatal vitamin, the one I take everyday and the one I recommend to all expecting moms. Zahler is offering an exclusive discount to listeners of the Pregnancy Podcast. To check out the vitamin and find out how you can save 25% when you buy a one month supply on Amazon click this link Zahler Prenatal + DHA.