Episode 128 Content and Overview
Your gastrointestinal system (AKA your gut) is made up of both good and bad bacteria. It is the balance between the two that helps keep things running smoothly. This microbiome is more than just the system that digests your food. Your gut is home to around 70% of your immune system. The gut is often referred to as the second brain and is responsible for creating 90% of serotonin. Gut health applies to everyone, but it is especially important during pregnancy. Your gut can potentially impact things like group B strep, your risk for preeclampsia, and even help with constipation. Probiotics are the key to making sure you have the right balance of bacteria and that you have a healthy gut. Learn what probiotics are, how to incorporate pregnancy safe probiotic rich foods in your diet, the risks and benefits of a probiotic supplement, and how to choose the right one.
Included in This Episode
- Your gastrointestinal system (AKA your gut)
- Your immune system and your gut brain connection
- Probiotics, prebiotics, and synbiotics
- Things that kill off good bacteria or feed bad bacteria
- Probiotic rich foods
- The effect of probiotics on functional constipation in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
- Group B Strep
- Lactobacilli in the female genital tract in relation to other genital microbes and vaginal pH
- Feasibility of oral prenatal probiotics against maternal group B Streptococcus vaginal and rectal colonization
- Oral Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1 and Lactobacillus reuteri RC-14 to reduce Group B Streptococcus colonization in pregnant women: A randomized controlled trial
- Clinical trial: Effects of Oral Probiotic Supplementation on Group B Strep (GBS) Rectovaginal Colonization in Pregnancy
- Intake of Probiotic Food and Risk of Preeclampsia in Primiparous Women: The Norwegian Mother and Child Cohort Study
- Probiotics for Preventing Preterm Labor
- Common side effects of probiotics
- Treatment of Infectious Mastitis during Lactation: Antibiotics versus Oral Administration of Lactobacilli Isolated from Breast Milk
- Are probiotics safe for use during pregnancy and lactation?
- Understanding how to read the label on probiotics
- Specific strains to look for when taking probiotics during pregnancy
- Labdoor.com vitamin and supplement rankings
- Garden of Life Whole Food Probiotic Supplement
- Garden of Life Whole Prenatal Probiotic
- Mommy Steps makes insoles specifically for pregnancy. They have insoles for athletic shoes and ones for flats or boots. You can even heat them in your oven and mold them to your own feet to make you more comfortable and to prevent foot issues during pregnancy. Mommy Steps is offering an exclusive 20% off for listeners of the Pregnancy Podcast. Click here to check them out and enter the promo code FEET when you checkout.
- Zahler makes a high quality prenatal vitamin that has the active form of folate plus omega 3s and DHA. This is my favorite prenatal vitamin, the one I take everyday and the one I recommend to all expecting moms. Zahler is offering an exclusive discount to listeners of the Pregnancy Podcast. To check out the vitamin and find out how you can save 25% when you buy a one month supply on Amazon click this link Zahler Prenatal + DHA.