Episode 131 Content and Overview
Vitamin D plays a crucial role during your pregnancy. One of the most important things vitamin D does is help with the absorption of other important nutrients like calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphate, and zinc. The majority of expecting mothers are deficient in vitamin D. This increases your risk for preeclampsia, negative health outcomes for your child later in life, and may even increase your risk for a cesarean section. Your body gets vitamin D from exposure to sunlight, your diet, and supplements like your prenatal vitamin. Most prenatal vitamins contain far less vitamin D than research is showing is necessary for adequate levels required during pregnancy. Find out what the most current research says about vitamin D during pregnancy and how to make sure you have enough vitamin D to support you and your baby.
Included in This Episode
- What is vitamin D?
- Vitamin D deficiency and insufficiency is common during pregnancy
- Vitamin D deficiency and the risk for preeclampsia
- Vitamin D deficiency and odds of primary cesarean section
- Maternal vitamin D deficiency effects on your baby later in life
- Testing for vitamin D
- Risk factors for vitamin D deficiency
- Vitamin D deficiency during pregnancy
- Recommended dietary allowance of vitamin D during pregnancy
- Double blind randomized clinical trial on nutritional vitamin D sufficiency
- Randomized controlled trial on nutritional vitamin D sufficiency
- Sources of vitamin D
- Environmental Working Group Skin Deep
- Skin care ingredients to avoid
- Common skin issues during pregnancy
- Can you get too much vitamin D?
- Sunburns during pregnancy
- Sunless tanning
- Supplementing with vitamin D during pregnancy
- Prenatal vitamin
- Talking to your doctor or midwife
- Vitamin D and your baby
- Study on maternal and neonatal nutritional vitamin D
- Mommy Steps makes insoles specifically for pregnancy. They have insoles for athletic shoes and ones for flats or boots. You can even heat them in your oven and mold them to your own feet to make you more comfortable and to prevent foot issues during pregnancy. Mommy Steps is offering an exclusive 20% off for listeners of the Pregnancy Podcast. Click here to check them out and enter the promo code FEET when you checkout.
- Zahler makes a high quality prenatal vitamin that has the active form of folate plus omega 3s and DHA. This is my favorite prenatal vitamin, the one I take everyday and the one I recommend to all expecting moms. Zahler is offering an exclusive discount to listeners of the Pregnancy Podcast. To check out the vitamin and find out how you can save 25% when you buy a one month supply on Amazon click this link Zahler Prenatal + DHA.