Episode 146 Content and Overview
Consumption of placenta by a mother after birth has been a taboo subject, but it has been gaining popularity in recent years. The thought of eating your placenta might gross you out at first but once you hear about some of the amazing benefits women claim it has you might be willing to consider it. This is not another pregnancy podcast solely focused on the all of the wonderful things placenta encapsulation does. This episode really dives into the possible benefits and risks of this practice, examines the scientific evidence available to back up the claims, and addresses your options for consuming your placenta from raw placenta smoothies to placenta encapsulation. After listening to this episode you will totally understand what placenta encapsulation is and have all of the pros, cons, evidence, and options so you can decide whether you want to encapsulate your placenta.
Included in This Episode
- The role of the placenta
- The Third Stage of Labor
- Human placentophagy
- Potential benefits
- Placentophagy: therapeutic miracle or myth?
- UNLV researchers author first-ever scholarly report on experiences of placenta-eating moms
- The placebo effect
- Iron During Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
- Effects of Human Maternal Placentophagy on Maternal Postpartum Iron Status: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Pilot Study
- Human placenta processed for encapsulation contains modest concentrations of 14 trace minerals and elements
- Postpartum Depression
- Presence and concentration of 17 hormones in human placenta processed for encapsulation and consumption
- (CDC) Notes from the Field: Late-Onset Infant Group B Streptococcus Infection Associated with Maternal Consumption of Capsules Containing Dehydrated Placenta
- Group B Strep and Placenta Encapsulation Safety
- Raw vs. cooked
- Traditional Chinese medicine method
- Association for Placenta Preparation Arts
- Placenta Benefits.info (PBi)
- International Placenta and Postpartum Association
- The Evenflo EveryStage car seat is an infant seat, convertible, and booster all in one and it has 10 different positions that will keep your baby or older child safe and comfortable. Evenflo’s EasyClick latch system makes it so easy to install and move it from one car to another. When it comes to car seats safety is a huge priority for me and this seat allows kids to be rear facing longer. The EveryStage car seat is well made, safe, and so easy to use. This is the only car seat you will ever need. Click here to check out the Evenflo EveryStage car seat and get a promo code to save 10%.
- Mommy Steps makes insoles specifically for pregnancy. They have insoles for athletic shoes and ones for flats or boots. You can even heat them in your oven and mold them to your own feet to make you more comfortable and to prevent foot issues during pregnancy. Mommy Steps is offering an exclusive 20% off for listeners of the Pregnancy Podcast. Click here to check them out and enter the promo code FEET when you checkout.
- Zahler makes a high quality prenatal vitamin that has the active form of folate plus omega 3s and DHA. This is my favorite prenatal vitamin, the one I take everyday and the one I recommend to all expecting moms. Zahler is offering an exclusive discount to listeners of the Pregnancy Podcast. To check out the vitamin and find out how you can save 25% when you buy a one month supply on Amazon click this link Zahler Prenatal + DHA.