Episode 143 Content and Overview
Breathing is something we are constantly doing, and seldom paying much attention to. When you are pregnant, the changes your body is going through can also have an impact on your breathing. While breathing is typically done without you having to think about it, you can control your breath, and how you breathe can have a big impact on your mood, anxiety, hormone levels, blood pressure, heart rate, and even your perception of pain. There is evidence to support controlled breathing during labor to promote relaxation and cope with contractions. Plus, there is some evidence showing which breathing techniques can be used in the pushing stage of labor that may help avoid vaginal tearing. These techniques can apply to you whether you are planning an un-medicated birth, you know you want an epidural, or even during a cesarean birth.
Included in This Episode
- The biomechanics of breathing
- How pregnancy affects your breathing
- Stuffy Nose and Pregnancy Rhinitis
- Lamaze breathing
- Diaphragmatic breathing, belly breathing, and abdominal breathing
- Benefits of controlled breathing
- Your parasympathetic nervous system
- The evidence for using breathing during labor
- The effects of breathing techniques training on the duration of labor and anxiety levels of pregnant women
- Effectiveness of breathing exercises during the second stage of labor on labor pain and duration: a randomized controlled trial
- Relaxation techniques for pain management in labour
- Practicing breathing techniques
- Birthing from Within
- Ancient Map for a Modern Birth
- Controlled breathing during pregnancy
- Breathing techniques for the second (pushing) stage
- Effect of Breathing Technique of Blowing on the Extent of Damage to the Perineum at the Moment of Delivery: A Randomized Clinical Trial
- The Evenflo EveryStage car seat is an infant seat, convertible, and booster all in one and it has 10 different positions that will keep your baby or older child safe and comfortable. Evenflo’s EasyClick latch system makes it so easy to install and move it from one car to another. When it comes to car seats safety is a huge priority for me and this seat allows kids to be rear facing longer. The EveryStage car seat is well made, safe, and so easy to use. This is the only car seat you will ever need. Click here to check out the Evenflo EveryStage car seat and get a promo code to save 10%.
- Mommy Steps makes insoles specifically for pregnancy. They have insoles for athletic shoes and ones for flats or boots. You can even heat them in your oven and mold them to your own feet to make you more comfortable and to prevent foot issues during pregnancy. Mommy Steps is offering an exclusive 20% off for listeners of the Pregnancy Podcast. Click here to check them out and enter the promo code FEET when you checkout.
- Zahler makes a high quality prenatal vitamin that has the active form of folate plus omega 3s and DHA. This is my favorite prenatal vitamin, the one I take everyday and the one I recommend to all expecting moms. Zahler is offering an exclusive discount to listeners of the Pregnancy Podcast. To check out the vitamin and find out how you can save 25% when you buy a one month supply on Amazon click this link Zahler Prenatal + DHA.